Saturday, June 26, 2010

Mission Get rid of Hiccups

My Brother had Hiccups yesterday. He kept speaking but nothing made any sense. But it was fun to watch. Too bad it went away with a glass of water.

There was this one time when we were kids. My Parents had been to a wedding and left us at Mr. Neighbor's home for babysitting. Mrs. Neighbor had joined my parents. I was more than happy to be at his place. Though, he wasn't.

Staying at the living room was scary. We had Mr. Neighbor looking at us as though we were monsters from under his bed. He kept staring for a long time. All of a sudden, he fell asleep. So, we decided to go explore his house. We were soon in his backyard and running around when there were a few Hiccups.

My Brother looked at me surprised. He couldn't get a word out. "(hic) I have (hic) Have (hic) I (hic) I have the (hic) the (hic) I (hic)."
"What's wrong with you?"
"The (hic) have the (hic) the (hic)."
"What is it?"

He panicked and shook his hands. Maybe, he was trying the Sign Language. It didn't work. "The (hic) I have (hic) the (hic)."
"What do you have? A Comic book? A Candy? Mr. Neighbor's hat?"

There was again the shaking of hands. Though, this time it was a bit faster. "(hic) I have (hic) the (hic) the (hic, hic)."

The Hiccups were turning out to be good entertainment. I asked a few more questions and after a few hundred hiccups "I have the (hic) Hiccups. Get rid (hic) of them...(hic)"
"What can I do?"
"I (hic) don't know. Do (hic) something."
"What can I do?"
"You said (hic) that already (hic)."
"Alright, let me think..."
After five minutes of thinking and a few more hiccups, I said "I don't know..."
"What? (hic) I have (hic). Okay. Scare me."

I stared at him without blinking.
"What (hic) are you doing?"
"Scaring you. I am Mr. Neighbor..."
"I mean, (hic) Surprise me!"
"Alright. But promise you won't yell."
"Well... (hic) Okay."

"I drew a bunny in your book!"
"What? (hic) Why? Which one?"
"I don't know. Look through all the books you have. You should find it."
"You're going (hic) to be in a lot of trouble (hic). Alright, (hic) forget the Book. Try something
(hic) else..."
"I ate the Chocolate Bar from your Drawer."
"What? (hic) That was (hic) the last bar..."
"You yelled at me both the times. I'm going."
"Okay. (hic) Sorry. Let's go ask Mr. (hic) Neighbor about the Hiccups."


We walked towards the Living Room. "These (hic) Hiccups are driving me (hic) crazy."
"Hey, I've read about a cure."
"What (hic)?"
"Hold your breath. It should work."

Thirty seconds in and his face had turned all red. His eyes almost popped out. Though, the Hiccups decided to stay. "I guess we should go ask Mr. Neighbor."

We were again walking towards the Living Room. My Brother was gasping.
"Wait a minute. Let's go to the Kitchen. Eating Sugar should do the trick."
He ate a spoonful. "I still (hic) have them..."
"Have another. I am sure this will work."
"(hic) I guess it doesn't."

"Wait a minute. Maybe, the person next to you should have some too."


Both of us were now eating spoonfuls. As we were crunching on the sugar, there was a Man standing next to us. On a closer look, I realized it was Mr. Neighbor. He looked surprised. Maybe, he was shocked to find two kids emptying his sugar supplies. I explained everything to him. He gave me a stare. My Brother gave it a try with many "Hics". He gave me a bigger stare.
Finally, he was given a glass of water. The Hiccups were gone. We were back in the Living Room with Mr. Neighbor. This time, he managed to stay awake...


Image Source :
Google Images

49 comments:

  1. LOL.. only with you hiccups could be this funny. It is good you did not try any stupid moves to get rid of his hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiccups are not a pleasant thing to have and can be destressing, Like me if I have one sneeze I sneeze a dozen times, everyday that happens, I hope your brother gets over his ordeal. Great post.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever asked your brother where or how did he come up with "eating sugar will work" idea? Well, at least you two didn't do anything dangerous. I grew up holding my breath until I couldn't hold it any longer to undo the hiccup. It works sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, sugar that's a new one on me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How come when you get the hiccups, you get them like 3 times in one day? Research it and get back to me, k?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was always told that putting an ice-cold spoon down your neck did the trick but never saw any proof of this working. Also a SUDDEN FRIGHT, like suddenly shouting out loud is supposed to work. Now I can't wait for someone in my family to get hiccups so I can try these methods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any similarity of you with Macaulay Culkin, the home alone boy when you were at that age?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up being told to "from the wrong side of the cup" to cure hiccups. You hold the cup, put your mouth on the rim that is farthest from you and then bed over to drink upside down. There's something about the way the water gets forced against the back of your throat that helps. Works every time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I always heard the wrong side of the cup - OR - scaring the crap out of the person. I prefer that one. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have used the eating sugar cure and it really works -- a big spoonful of dry sugar all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's only one sure cure for the hiccups - decapitation. It's a bit... well, messy though. I wouldn't recommend it if you have nice carpets. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. wonder if the hiccups would of gone away if he ate a piece of chocolate?lol... any distraction i think would have worked. mind over matter.... course u knew that!. u just wanted to see him hiccup himself crazy..lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. heheh..so naughty...
    Its fun to see people hi-cupping...
    Loved the narration...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Neighbor probably thought a couple of junkies were loading up on sugar to satisfy a craving. Good thing your brother still had the hiccups, or Mr. Neighbor might have called the cops.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I grew up with this..... Someone is remembering you and to get rid of it you frighten them!
    Weird as it may sound does work...... sometimes! Maybe it is just in my head

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I hate the hiccups, they are such an incessant pain. Plus, I get them really rather frequently and I can never get rid of them too...it truly does drive me insane, I can empathise with your tormented brother :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very funny. I'd love to hear Mr. Neighbor's side of the story :-)
    Happy Sunday,
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now I know why I never seem to get the hiccups. I eat too much sugar. Sweet story.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a hilarious story about hiccups! Again you shine through the experience, by tormenting your brother with your little adventures behind his back that involve his things while he has them nasty hiccups!! Naughty you, Mr Stupid! :)

    Have a wonderful day ahead and keep off of Mr Grumpy's Room just for a day why don't you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG, I hate the hiccups! I'm scared of em. Really. I think that if I get em they might not go away.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, I've heard that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down (but that's according to Mary Poppins who might not be a reliable source), but that's the first I've heard of it for hiccups - lol!

    A sip of white vinegar always works. Tastes yucky, but the hiccups disappear and you don't have to resort to Tony's extreme measures! I'm sure Mr. Neighbor would like his carpet to stay clean - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha. i hate the hiccups...i once had them for 3 days...it was miserable...i would wake up and think they were gone...nope...ack!

    ReplyDelete
  23. HA! The hiccups are evil.

    Tried way I have to get rid of them: Sneak up to the person who struggles with them, and flick them really hard in the nose. They might be angry at you for a bit, but it works EVERY time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL, I remember getting them. My nephew would try to scare them out of me, usually just causing me to pee my pants instead.

    Peace, Love and Chocolate
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh you just can't stay away from sugar, can you?
    Mission Impossible theme song is playing in my head right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. hope that this is simply fiction written fro fun...
    good luck in case your brother does have hiccups...

    excellent story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have never heard about the eating sugar thing! I can't imagine just swallowing dry sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  28. my favorite part...

    "What? (hic) I have (hic). Okay. Scare me."
    I stared at him without blinking.
    "What (hic) are you doing?"
    "Scaring you. I am Mr. Neighbor..."

    haha that was awesome

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maybe you should of looked to see if Mr. Neighbor had some honey. If you eat a spoonful of honey it will stop the hiccups. Works every time for me! But I am kind of glad you didin't think of honey I just could of image the mess you would of made with that. OMG!

    Gina
    motherof1princessand2princes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. The best thing for us has always been to hold our breath till our diaphragm adjusts....

    How is summer going for you?

    ReplyDelete
  31. So the hiccups were cured but you guys were wild from eating all that sugar. Poor Mr. Neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hiccups are by far the worst and all of the tricks don't work it seems like!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I recommend eating more sugar so the hiccups don't come back. A pound every hour should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Eating brown sugar really DOES work for me. Too bad my husband doesn't believe me!

    He could've used that glass of water yesterday when we were driving home from the lake. He hiccuped for about an hour, making us all go crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hate hiccups so much! And I get them a lot b/c I eat really fast. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  36. O that's a sign that you are still growing up.... heheheh.... I don't think sugar will work the trick.. where did you get that idea? hahahah..

    thanks for the visit...

    Hope you can visit my other blogs too!
    Woman’s elan vital
    Some Things Are Free
    On This Side of Town
    Anything Davao

    ReplyDelete
  37. I don't know how you do it, Mr. Stupid. But it takes some skill to write great crap like this. This was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOL! The first paragraph made me laugh the most. I never knew hiccups could be so entertaining to watch.

    Have a good day Mr. S!
    EVERY THOUGHT COUNTS

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is hilarious. Love reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I hate hiccups!
    I'd recommend a sice of bread.
    Water never worked for me.

    Have a great Tuesday, Mr S! :))
    ~B

    ReplyDelete
  41. LOL.. I love the... heres sugar for you too.part....LOL!!!! Great story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. believe it or not, in the hospital we actually have a drug we can give for that (some people have the hiccups for days and can't stop). it is a drug that is also used as an antipsychotic. funny, but true :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I wish my hiccups did go away with water

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hilarious story. Sounds like you tried everthing to stop his hiccups except one very important way... Which is to scare the living hell out of them. I mean really go overboard with hit. Like- come from up behind him and reach over his shoulder with a fake grenade and tell him you're gonna pull the pin because you can't take the annoying sound of his hiccups anymore. Before he has time to react, pull the pin of the fake plastic grenade. He'll immediately stop hiccuping and poop his pants in shear fright.

    Problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Whenever (hic) we got the hiccups we (hic) drank from the (hic) (hic) wrong side of a gla(hic)ss with a (hic) pencil in our mouth....
    It never friggin worked.....(hic)

    ReplyDelete
  46. whenever I try to hiccup on purpose, the real ones go away. Think the sugar may have scared them away in this case.

    ReplyDelete